Rasean

Once upon a time on April 2, 2022, the first track meet in Milton Freewater, OR wrapped up. I thanked my kid's coach for all her time and effort. I told her I really appreciated it. 

Her response, on the other hand, is something that took me by surprise. 

Not, "Thank you!" 

Not, "No problem." 

Not, "I'm so glad you guys could make it." 

Nope.

It was more like, "I'm so glad Rasean is on the team. He's a real inspiration to everyone, especially the other boys." 

I thanked her and went on my way like we'd just exchanged pleasantries. But something about the way she said it made me believe she really meant it -- like really meant it.

As volunteers rolled up flags and posted finals scores I walked away from her to the Honey Bucket. Why was I so in awe at her response?? 

Once in the Honey Bucket, it became a time capsule. Suddenly I was transported to the years and decades I'd safely tucked in the back of my mind. 

There she was. That awkward girl who had no idea who she was. The one who'd try avoiding other students between classes so no one could tell how weird she really was.

The girl who never had enough money or confidence to lay a foot on a field, hold a ball on a court, and for sure NEVER dawn a track in a uniform.

The girl who had big dreams, but none of them ever came true. 

The girl who settled for far too much and sold herself short way too often.

No realization of her worth or what she'd one day be given.

The one who couldn't even get out of her hometown.

There she was. Staring out the window of a coffee shop. Scared. Alone.

Nothing special. Nothing extraordinary. Just another girl in a sea of many.

That girl became a woman -- time passed. And more time passed. Babies were born and grey hair was birthed. Divorce gave her what she knew she deserved, but remarriage gave way to a new life.

Through those decades she remained committed and faithful to two things:

1. God/Jesus/Holy Spirit

2. Making her family her ministry

And today was the day!

Today was the day God confirmed through this coach that He'd given me a true gift in Rasean. She was right. He is an inspiration. He is so much more than he even realizes. He is special and blessed with athleticism, humility, encouragement and kindness. He is a true treasure to the world around him. He has become my greatest accomplishment. He's quite possibly the reason I was even born. 

Rasean embodies an acorn seed that is maturing into an amazing oak.

Within this child is the seed of all the magnificence he will become, all the strength he will need. Everything is there, just like in the acorn seed. As he becomes all God has for him. As he's watered with love and nurturing. As he's pruned with correction and discipline. He is maturing into a mighty oak. One that inspires others. Who provides shade and place of calm and rest. He's big and bold and inspiring, enveloped in a quiet strength others are naturally drawn to.

Oh what I know he WILL become.

This human is the greatest part of my very existence.

I'm so blessed, and I've done NOTHING to deserve this gift. 

Exhale with immense gratitude.


Comments

  1. You are and always have been of great worth to me! You have probably far surpassed me in many things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Equal Joy